How to compile a portable emacs for Linux?

From: Z C
Subject: How to compile a portable emacs for Linux?
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 10:44:26 +0800

If you compile the emacs source code using default way (that is "./configure && make && make install"), once it has been compiled, the program path can no longer be changed. (i.e. if you move the program and all its data to another directory, it won't run)

But I have specific need: I need to run emacs on multiple computers and the path is not a constant. So how can I build a portable version of emacs?

For instance, I want to put the program and all its data in a folder named emacs, and this folder may have different path on different computers: /media/disk/emacs or /home/xxx/emacs or ...., and I want to make it run on those computers.