jabber 0.8.91 on emacs 24.2.1

From: Prateek Sadhukhan
Subject: jabber 0.8.91 on emacs 24.2.1
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 20:58:58 +0530

I am not able to make jabber work with emacs.

I can see I am getting connected. However in the roster buffer I am shown as
Offline.
In the fsm-debug buffer I keep seeing the error:

'Error in jabber-connection/:connected: Symbol's function definition is
void: xml-get-attribute-or-nil"

I tried to add "(require 'xml)". Did not help. This function is defined
in xml.el which is in the normal .../lisp directory of the emacs
installation.

Any pointers?

Thanks and Regards,
Prateek