Re: Installing emacs-w3m (via el-get) on OS X?

From: Lewis Perin
Subject: Re: Installing emacs-w3m (via el-get) on OS X?
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 15:33:15 -0400

Peter <pfdavis@gmail.com> writes:

>I'm trying to install w3m on my OS X system so I can read HTML
>messages
>with Wanderlust. I've managed to install el-get and, with that,
>Wanderlust. However, when I try to install emacs-w3m, I get errors
>that
>autoconf is not found:
>
>el-get is waiting for "/bin/bash" to complete
>emacs-w3m failed to install: (error el-get: /bin/bash el-get could not
>build emacs-w3m [/bin/bash -c autoconf]) [2 times]
>el-get-installation-failed: el-get: /bin/bash el-get could not build
>emacs-w3m [/bin/bash -c autoconf]
>
>Anyone know how to get past this?

For reasons that will soon become obvious, I can’t answer your question
exactly as asked.  But maybe I can help anyway.

I don’t use Wanderlust, but VM, which I do use, has certain similarities
to Wanderlust.  I was pondering how to use emacs-w3m with VM not too
long ago, and it seemed kind of daunting.  At that point, I noticed that
it was possible to use w3m directly with VM, basically redirecting w3m’s
stdout to VM’s stdin.  I tried it, and I’m quite pleased with the
results.  Maybe Wanderlust lets you do this, too?

/Lew
---
Lew Perin / perin@acm.org
http://babelcarp.org