Re: Installing emacs-w3m (via el-get) on OS X?

From: Peter Davis
Subject: Re: Installing emacs-w3m (via el-get) on OS X?
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 10:33:22 -0400

At Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:02:53 +0200,
Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 18.09.2012 um 16:05 schrieb Peter:
>
> > I had set both the PATH environment variable and the exec-path variable in
> > emacs, but somehow, emacs shell was using something else. Anyone know where
> > that path comes from?
>
> Two sources. First it inherits it from the environment which launches
> GNU Emacs – in Mac OS X this is not really something useful (because
> you should play with the apps and not work hard on the command line).
> Second it's the RC files that set up the shell environment. Depending
> on the kind of shell used they have different names (~/.login,
> ~/.(t)cshrc, ~/.profile, ~/.bashrc, …) and depending on the character
> of the shell (log-in or not) different sorts of files are used for its
> initialisation. Finally you have control with ~/.emacs_<shell's name>.

Thanks very much, Peter. I will experiment with this. By the way, I use
command line emacs fairly often as I am frequently SSH'ed to my Mac at
home from my laptop.

I had not heard of the .emacs_<shell's name> initialization file
before. That would certainly be worth exploiting to managed
platform-specific handling, etc.

Thank you.

-pd