Re: emacsclientw on w64

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacsclientw on w64
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 08:58:09 +0200

> From: "B. T. Raven" <btraven@nihilo.net>
> Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 17:21:38 -0500
>
> I used to diddle with registry to get emacsclientw to work on w2000 but
> am afraid to do that on w64. I found this .bat file on web along with
> instructions to convert it to runemacsclientw.exe
>
> @echo off
> :: Emacs binaries...
> set binpath=c:\Program Files\emacs\bin ;; my binpath is directly in c:\
> :: emacs\bin If no arg is given set filename to c:\ ;; why directory ::
> instead of file?
>
> if "%~1"=="" (
>   set filename=c:\
> ) else (
>   set filename=%~1
> )
> :: Run Emacsclient
> "%binpath%\emacsclientw.exe" --no-wait
> --alternate-editor="%binpath%\runemacs.exe" "%filename%"

Why do you need all this tinkering?  Just use the "normal" Windows way
of associating files with a program.  That is:

  . right-click on a file in Explorer and select "Open"
  . click "Select the program from a list"
  . if emacsclientw.exe is in the list, select it
  . if emacsclientw.exe is not already in the list, click Browse and
    navigate to emacsclientw.exe
  . check the "Always use the selected program" checkbox
  . click OK

Repeat the above for every file type you want to open with Emacs.
That's it.