Re: IDE versus emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: IDE versus emacs
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 10:33:44 +0200

> From: Vagn Johansen <gonz808@hotmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 09:56:42 +0200
>
> Is the TAGS format extensible so a new fields could be added?

You'd need to update the etags program for that, and also the Lisp
commands that access TAGS and operate on it.

> It would useful if the identifiers were tagged (pun intended) with the
> the "type": class, method, static function, constant etc.
>
> For example find-tag could then support a customized
> find-first/find-next order (eg. class first).
>
> You could also use it to make the function guess-class-name-at-point. I
> have previously needed this for my tempo expansions for C++ member
> functions.

If you are talking about C++, Emacs already comes with a program
called 'ebrowse' and a matching set of Emacs commands, which I think
are supposed to support all that already.  I suggest to read the
ebrowse manual (bundled with Emacs) and see if you can put that to
good use.