Re: cygwin -- getting *shell* to parse pipes & other unix cmd-line stuff

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: cygwin -- getting *shell* to parse pipes & other unix cmd-line stuff?
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 21:47:19 +0000 (UTC)

Here's what I *really* want to do:

Use emacs, *shell*, and within that (*shell*),
be able to pretend that I'm on a REAL computer,
and use the full unix/linix command-line parsing stuff,
eg "ls `cat foo.nam`", parens and subjobs, and >>EOF ... EOF,
all that stuff.

All without having to ever resort to the xp "cmd" window --
do it all straight out of the nice full-screen emacs
*shell* display.

Emacs already gives me the fiction that I'm on eg a
sun or linux, but where that falls down is in
*shell* typing in command-lines.

---

I've also tried, in *shell*, running the cygwin
tcsh, but with no success.  (I forget the difficulty
I had, but it was complete, that difficulty.)

---

Something I noticed some time (years?) ago (still true?) was
that cygwin had two versions, new and old (or standard?),
but that the new one's bin had far fewer programs
than did the old one.

My version of cygwin is Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

---------------------- OOPS: CURRENT AVAILABLE CYGWINI IS 1.7:

Just looked at http://cygwin.com/, saw that 1.7 is the
newest thing (I guess mine is pretty ancient), but that
going to it requires lots of changes.  Hmmm.

(Mine is 1.5)

Has everyone switched to 1.7, or are a lots of (smart)
people still using 1.5?

Sure wouldn't want to try to install the new one and
screw up and thus also lose the one I have!

Question: would 1.7 make my *shell* experience
a lot better, given the problems I've listed
above?

THANKS!

David