Re: visual line mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: visual line mode
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 09:41:57 +0200

> From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
> Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 00:06:13 +0200
> Cc: Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
>
> > I think you are talking about bugs in early versions of the
> > bidirectional display engine.
>
> No, no, it still happens today. Maybe I am not finding the right words… The
> text cursor travels through every visible line of text, for example hitting
> the columns 12, 59, 107, … also these positions all belong to one long line
> of broken text. There is also no fixed rule by which the column number
> increases (or decreases when going towards the top of the buffer). This is
> really disturbing, I instantly assumed column-number-mode was broken.

You'd have to rethink that when you use visual-line-mode, those are
features, not bugs.  (Why do you care about how columns
increase/decrease?  For that matter, why do you turn on
column-number-mode at all?)

> And while I was testing this behaviour again it happened that I could not
> position by means of the mouse the cursor onto every column of a long broken
> line, i.e., most columns, for example those of the first part or the
> beginning of the broken line, could not be reached.

I have no problem with this when I try it now.  Does it happen for you
in "emacs -Q", if you just turn on visual-line-mode?

> And there also lines segments containing the last part of a broken line that
> cannot be reached at all, neither with the mouse nor by using the cursor
> movement keys…

Are you again talking about putting the cursor beyond the text?
That's impossible in Emacs.

If you are talking about something else, please elaborate.

> And although I removed any white space on the lines after the (black) text
> had ended, I can see the cursor stay in that deleted white space:

I cannot reproduce this.  Can you give a recipe?