Re: line adjustment at the end of a sentence

From: PJ Weisberg
Subject: Re: line adjustment at the end of a sentence
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 11:13:31 -0700

On Sunday, October 14, 2012, Joe Fineman <joe_f@verizon.net> wrote:
> dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>
>> Next subject:
>>
>> Is it:
>>
>>    a, b and c
>
> Most people's natural punctuation; observed religiously in
> journalism.

They taught this to me in elementary school, and it always seemed like an unusual special case to me.  For the last item in the list you leave off the comma, but when you read it aloud you still pause where the comma would be.

http://greaterthanlapsed.tumblr.com/post/10340315471/aundressa-weexist-weresist-ejob

--
-PJ

Gehm's Corollary to Clark's Law: Any technology distinguishable from
magic is insufficiently advanced.