save-excursion not working - despite NO-ERROR in search-forward-regexp

From: gnuist007
Subject: save-excursion not working - despite NO-ERROR in search-forward-regexp
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 20:49:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to search some regular expressions in a file and then to
do some manipulations represented for now by a message only. I want to
go till the eob and then dont want to hit error, so I have a t for NO-
ERROR. However, I also want the cursor ie point to return where I
started from, ie did C-x C-e, but I see that the cursor gets stuck
somewhere else, a little above the eob, even though its wrapped in
save-excursion. This is driving me crazy so please help me.

(save-excursion
  (while
      (search-forward-regexp (regexp-quote "does nott existt inn this
file") (end-of-buffer) t)
  (message "first")
))

If you have a better suggestion, I shall be glad to have it, but I
also want someone to show a fix to the one I have posted.

gnuist