Re: Handling large files with Emacs

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Handling large files with Emacs
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 19:21:32 +0530

Tom <adatgyujto@gmail.com> writes:

> Jambunathan K <kjambunathan <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Have you experimented with `font-lock-maximum-size' together with
>> `font-lock-support-mode'?
>>
>> ,----[ C-h v font-lock-maximum-size RET ]
>> | font-lock-maximum-size is a variable defined in `font-lock.el'.
>> | Its value is 256000
>> |
>> |   This variable is obsolete since 24.1.
>> |

> BTW, why is it obsolete? Does it mean it's unnecessary and the
> size of the buffer should not be a problem?
>
> I have this default setting like above and font lock is turned
> on in big buffers nevertheless.

Read the docstring again.  Kicks in only for specific settings of
`font-lock-support-mode'.  (I was confused as well, before I looked at
re-read the docstring.)

I am just another user.  There is no overhead to experimenting with
other settings and seeing whether there are differences in the
behaviour.