RE: How to open dired bookmarks in the same window

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to open dired bookmarks in the same window
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 07:52:33 -0700

> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/13090190/emacs-how-to-open-
> dired-bookmarks-in-the-same-window
>
> After inspecting the code of bookmark.el I came to
> conclusion, that every bookmark has a handler function, that
> is taken in bookmark-get-handler. I think, that I need to
> attach find-alternate-file function as a handler to every
> bookmark-directory. So it will be opened in the same buffer.
>
> But I don't know, how to do it. Any ideas?

Use Bookmark+.  You do not need to fiddle with the code of the bookmarks
themselves (e.g. the handler function).  It is the bookmark _jump_ command that
says whether to use the same or another window when moving to the bookmark
location.

In Bookmark+:
C-x j d   is `bmkp-dired-jump
C-x 4 j d is `bmkp-dired-jump-other-window'

You apparently want to use `C-x j d'.

(You can of course bind it to another key.  By default, all Bookmark+ jump
commands are on prefix keys `C-x j' and `C-x 4 j'.)

http://www.emacswiki.org/BookmarkPlus