Re: Using lisp code in emacs inside a C program

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Using lisp code in emacs inside a C program
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 18:42:44 +0100

gnuist007@hotmail.com writes:

> On Oct 25, 8:17 am, Sohail Somani <soh...@taggedtype.net> wrote:
>> On 24/10/2012 11:13 PM, gnuist...@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>> > I would
>> > be even willing to put together a small lisp interpreter in C with
>> > your help and then bootstrap it using Lisp etc and then dump the
>> > binary image after it has computed rest of the higher lisp definitions
>> > in primitive lisp and link it to my code in elisp.
>>
>> Try http://ecls.sourceforge.net/ which is an embeddable Common Lisp.
>> It's pretty handy and good at what it says it does.
>
> Thanks for the link and the terminology of embedded.
> I want to know more about the authors, but I could not find any clue.

The current maintainer is Juan Jose Garcia Ripoll.

http://lisp-univ-etc.blogspot.fr/2012/06/juan-jose-garcia-ripoll-is-physicist.html

http://ecls.sourceforge.net/
http://ecls.sourceforge.net/resources.html

> Also, if anyone has used it and its compatibility with the emacs.

All CL implementation is compatible with emacs, in the sense that you
can use emacs to edit CL programs, and you can run it with M-x
inferior-lisp RET, or even for most of them (including ecl) with M-x
slime RET.

> I  found a file called emacs.el in it and I am pasting it here so people
> can guess what it does and offer comments. What might be the structure
> of the program like? Certainly, would be interesting to read the
> source and if anyone has done so and if it is commented well or
> obfuscated?

Almost all projects written by programmers using emacs will contain some
emacs lisp file containing some utility emacs commands the authors use
to edit the project files.

> Here the personality of the authors comes in handy to know
> their motivations for the project.
>
> Maybe, I also try to find the core file where he has written the
> interpreter in C. Can anyone point it out and the general structure of
> the program?

The ecl subdirectory named "src" contains:

[pjb@triton :0 src]$ ls
./           aclocal.m4   clx/             config.sub*   gc/          lsp/
../          bare.lsp.in  cmp/             configure*    gmp/         new-cmp/
CHANGELOG*   c/           compile.lsp.in*  configure.in  h/           util/
Makefile.in  clos/        config.guess*    doc/          install.sh*

I would say cmp/ and new-cmp/ contain compilers.
The c/ contains some C sources, including a file named "interpreter.d".

Concerning personalities, I would say yours doesn't bode well, given
that you didn't fetch the sources and see that yourself.  One wonders
about your motivations...  ;-)

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com