Re: Emacs BSD/Allman Style with 4 Space Tabs?

From: Will Parsons
Subject: Re: Emacs BSD/Allman Style with 4 Space Tabs?
Date: 2 Nov 2012 00:21:29 GMT

hany wrote:

> Using this emacs lisp setting one ends up with BSD/Allman style braces but
> introduces tabs with 8 spaces.
>
> (add-hook 'c-mode-hook
>           (lambda ()
>             (c-set-style "linux")))
>
> How do I keep the Allman style braces but keep the tab spaces at 4?

For keeping the indentation at 4 spaces, I think all you should need
to do is stick into your c-mode-hook:

  (setq c-basic-offset 4)

That's what I have, though I use "ellemtel" style rather than "linux" style.

However, you refer to "tabs" rather than "indentation", so perhaps I
misunderstand.  If you are using tabs (i.e., ASCII <tab> characters),
I would strongly urge you to avoid using tab characters for the
purposes of indentation altogether.  Using tab characters for the
purposes of indentation causes infinite grief (IMO), and I would
advise you to stick:

  (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)

into your .emacs file.

--