Re: Changing file end-of-line style

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: Changing file end-of-line style
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 14:24:10 +0100

Hi Jambunathan,

On Mon, Nov 05, 2012 at 06:38:31PM +0530, Jambunathan K wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I sometimes have to deal with files created on Windows or Mac OSX.  When
> > using emacs with X windows, I can click on the `(Mac)' or `(MS-DOS)'
> > marker on the bottom left corner of the frame to switch to whichever
> > style I want at the moment.
> >
> > How do I do this when running emacs as `emacs -nw'?  I tried looking for
> > end-of-line with apropos, but could not find anything that seemed
> > relevant.  Any ideas?
>
> From (info "(emacs) Text and Binary")
>
> ,----
> |    To visit a file and specify whether it uses DOS-style or Unix-style
> | end-of-line, specify a coding system (*note Text Coding::).  For
> | example, `C-x <RET> c unix <RET> C-x C-f foobar.txt' visits the file
> | `foobar.txt' without converting the EOLs; if some line ends with a
> | carriage-return linefeed pair, Emacs will display `^M' at the end of
> | that line.  Similarly, you can direct Emacs to save a buffer in a
> | specified EOL format with the `C-x <RET> f' command.  For example, to
> | save a buffer with Unix EOL format, type `C-x <RET> f unix <RET> C-x
> | C-s'.  If you visit a file with DOS EOL conversion, then save it with
> | Unix EOL format, that effectively converts the file to Unix EOL style,
> | like `dos2unix'.
> `----

This works great!  I have a question though.  I was aware of the
set-buffer-file-coding-system command; when I tried it I was prompted
with utf-8[1] which did not seem to do anything.  What confuses me is
this prompt along with separate markers on the modeline for charset and
line ending style[2] led me to believe the coding system of the file is
the charset (as in the characters used in the text) it is using, whereas
line endings are set by something else.

>From your answer it seems that is not the case.  Does that mean there
can be several coding system associated to a buffer?  Am I talking
gibberish or does my question make any sense?

Thanks,

Footnotes:

[1] I use utf-8 for all text files.

[2] There is a U for files with UTF-8 characters and DOS for files with
    DOS style line endings at separate places on the bottom left of the
    modeline.

--
Suvayu