How do I search for symbols such as \253 in Emacs

From: acomber
Subject: How do I search for symbols such as \253 in Emacs
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 03:23:49 -0800 (PST)

I see the symbols as \253 (or whatever) in Emacs.  But if I try to search for
\253 (backslash then enter 253 it never finds them.  But if I cut and yank
one of the symbols it works.  The trouble is the file I have is huge and
finding these symbols is hard - even though I know what they are.  I just
can't enter them to search.

How do I search for these?