Re: Problem setting-up Emacs & Links WWW browser

From: Yves Baumes
Subject: Re: Problem setting-up Emacs & Links WWW browser
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 11:47:56 +0100

"A. Kong" <akagikong@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
Hi!

>     The official Links mailing list seems to be down, so I thought I'd
> ask here.
>
> xterm displays this error when I try to load a link in emacs:
>
>         /usr/bin/xterm: Can't execvp links: No such file or directory
>
>     Where to I make the edit so that Emacs knows where Links is located?
First, make sure links is installed on your device :-).

Then locate it in your terminal, with a command like `which links` (or
`type links` if I remember correctly for a bash shell).

Then in Emacs, look into the 'exec-path variable. To do so, invoke the
'describe-variable function with the following key sequence: "C-h v". A
prompt will ask you which variable you want it to describe, type in the
variable name : "exec-path" and push enter.

A new window should pop up, its content must look like:
----
exec-path is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is
("/usr/bin" "/bin" "/usr/sbin" "/sbin" "/usr/local/bin" "/usr/X11/bin"
"/opt/local/bin" "/usr/local/git/bin" ...
----
(I won't paste the whole content here)

The directory containing links must not be present. You must add it
yourself, with somethink like:

(setq exec-path (append exec-path '("/path-to-the-links-directory/")))

Copy/paste this line in you scratch buffer and execute it, that is go to
the end of the line and type in the following sequence: "C-x C-e". You
must see the new 'exec-path value appearing in the echo area, at the
bottom of your Emacs' frame. If you're not sure or if the result
vanished before you had the opportunity to check, just re-launch the
'describe-variable key sequence. As told previously it is "C-h v" then
type in "exec-path".

If you want the modification to be permanent, copy/paste "(setq ...)" line in
your .emacs file.

Regards
Yves