Re: smtpmail/starttls starts connection but never sends

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: smtpmail/starttls starts connection but never sends
Date: 14 Nov 2012 20:42:46 GMT

Hi William,

William Gardella wrote:
> I wonder if you've tried playing around with the `tls-checktrust'
> variable.  If you (setq tls-checktrust 'ask), you should be able to
> manually accept untrusted SSL/TLS keys by responding to a dialog in
> Emacs.  Along with setting `tls-checktrust' to ask, you can set
> `tls-program' to have a command line that will allow you to call
> gnutls-cli with your own private list of certificates.  For me here in
> Debian GNU/Linux, the following is a working TLS configuration that
> checks certs but also lets me use invalid/self-signed ones when I wish:
>
> (setq tls-checktrust 'ask
>       tls-program
>       '("gnutls-cli --x509cafile /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p %p %h"
>         "gnutls-cli --x509cafile /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -p %p %h
> --protocols ssl3"
>         "openssl s_client -connect %h:%p -CAfile
> /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt -no_ssl2 -ign_eof"))

I haven't been able to try this for the simple reason that I haven't
been able to find out where OS X stores its certificates...

> Maybe this will help you if gnutls --insecure is no longer working.

Well, right now, --insecure is the only thing that does work. What
puzzles me is that --tofu should also work, from what I read about it,
but it doesn't. The connection appears to be established, but the mail
is not sent and the connection remains open, it seems.

> If the above doesn't work, you can use strace or dtrace to see where in
> the TLS-calling process Emacs hangs.  You can also try writing out an
> `open-network-stream' function call of your Emacs trying to talk to your
> mail server and stepping through it with (edebug-defun).

and how would I go about doing that? :-)

--
Joost Kremers                                      joostkremers@yahoo.com
EN:SiS(9)