Re: How to define a function in Zile Lisp

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: How to define a function in Zile Lisp
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 08:53:48 +0100

Aurélien Aptel <aurelien.aptel+emacs@gmail.com> writes:

>> As far as I know, GNU Zile has just been ported to Lua, and that
>> version will probably replace the C version at some point in time.
>> That is probably a bit easier to hack on.
>>
>> It's lisp interpreter (which doesn't implement more than the C version)
>> is this:
>>
>>   http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/zile.git/tree/src/lisp.lua?h=lua
>
> That's curious. I'm assuming Zile didn't want a Lisp interpreter
> because it would make it less "lightweight". Now that they have a
> full-fledged Lua interpreter, is Zile programmable in it?

It's written in Lua, so clearly yes.  But I'm not sure if you can have
some ~/.zile.lua (beside the lispy ~/.zile) with your own configs and
settings.  That should be easy to implement, though.

> If not, what is the reason for not having a lisp interpreter ?

I don't know.  Maybe they could have made it extensible using Guile
instead of writing an own suped-tiny lisp interpreter.  But I guess Zile
isn't meant to be overly extensible.  If you want that, go with emacs.

Bye,
Tassilo