basic help evaluating function in an alist

From: Matt Price
Subject: basic help evaluating function in an alist
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 17:57:16 -0500

Hi,

i'm trying to figure out what's wrong with this simple code:

(add-to-list 'my-winlist
             '(guide . (selected-window) )
             )
(windmove-right)
(select-window(cdr(assoc 'guide my-winlist)) )

So, what I would hope happens here is that I add an element (guide .
(selected-window))  to an alist, but that the second element would be
the actual window object in question, not the text string
"(selected-window)".  Lisp puzzles me pretty thoroughly so I know I'm
missing a very basic feature, but I can't figure it out by flipping
through the info pages...  Thanks everyone!
Matt