extended regexp

From: damien.thiriet77
Subject: extended regexp
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2012 14:52:05 +0100

Hello,

I have been recently doing a lot of regexp with grep, sed and emacs and I think
differences between regexp syntax of those programs are a bit confusing (I am
using GNU sed, GNU grep and GNU emacs). Extended regexp somehow unify these
syntaxes, and I would link to know if there is a way to implement them in emacs
regexp search and replace. I would like to do so for another reason: I have
quite often to escape ( and { in my regexp, which is quite tedious. Of course,
I suppose the default behaviour of ( in regexp is connected with lisp syntax,
but I mostly use search-replace in texts with few (). I made a research in both
emacs info manual and emacs wiki and couldn’t find anything on it. As far as I
remember, vim has got such extended regexp-like functions.

If there is no extended-regexp functions nor mode avalaible, I may send a
feature request for it (the idea would be to have a regexp variable for usual
or extended search and replace). However, do you think someone else might be
interested by such a behaviour?

Damien Thiriet

Je crée ma boîte mail www.laposte.net