Re: Emacs user conference

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: Emacs user conference
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 23:38:36 +0000 (UTC)

In article <mailman.14759.1354889046.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Ivan Kanis  <ivan.kanis@googlemail.com> wrote:
>Hi Joakim,
>
>Good we got a place! So it will be Stockholm.
>
>Roughly how many people can you hold comfortably in a meeting room? It's
>important to know so that we don't get too many people.
>
>When we did a Org Mode conference in Paris in 2012 we were very
>surprised that 12 people turned up.
>
>The next question is when?
>
>I think like you that a week-end is best. I can't think talking about
>emacs for more than two days. I am thinking between April and June 2013.
>
>I am only saying this because warm weather puts me in a good mood. It
>could be done sooner.
>
>I don't think we should do it in July or August because most people
>takes their holiday then... [1]
>
>Take care,
>
>Ivan Kanis
>
>[1] Well in France at least ;)

How about first getting a list of who's interested in coming,
AND WHERE THEY LIVE.

Then, in these super-tight austerity-ridden times, choose where
to hold thing based on some try to minimize total travel
and hotel cost.

For instant, if 90% of the people come from Boston and MIT,
well, obviously, hold it there.

---

There's also hotel costs.  Anyone flying n thousands of miles for
a weekend conference is probably going to want to spend at least
some time looking around.

Now, at least with some (maybe all) Perl conferences are held
in the summertime at various universities, where low-cost dorm
rooms are made available.

Back to the duration question.  Flying all that distance for just
two days is a "justify it to the boss" problem.  Even if the
"boss" is one's spouse.

Just food for thought!

David