RE: backquote quote pair notation: What does it mean in Emacsdocument?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: backquote quote pair notation: What does it mean in Emacsdocument?
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 06:40:38 -0800

> > Anybody knows the philosophy? Thank you for your reply.
>
> It helps with speed-reading.  As you become more experienced
> with Emacs, you will find yourself resorting to the info manual.

Think of it as a simple quotation mechanism or rudimentary highlighting that
works with even the simplest plain-text editor or mode.  It makes the quoted
text stand out - nothing more.

It is also relatively easy for code to parse, to treat the quoted passages in
various ways - in particular, highlighting them (color etc.).

Compare the two attached screenshots, for instance.  See how the quoted text
stands out more when it is highlighted, and how that can help readability.

Look at how key sequences are handled in different ways here: as strings
("<f5>", "C-c y"), single-quoted: `C-c n', and using vector syntax: ([?\C-=],
[f7]).  Each of these notations/syntaxes has a different meaning for Emacs and
Emacs Lisp.