Re: Warning to those using rgrep on Mac OS X

From: Thierry Volpiatto
Subject: Re: Warning to those using rgrep on Mac OS X
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 19:07:51 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Thierry Volpiatto <thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com>
>> Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:27:17 +0100
>>
>> Emacs for rgrep use, in addition of grep, two more commands that are find
>> and xargs, which is not useful because grep itself is able to recurse
>> without the need of these commands.
>> It is not a problem on GNU/Linux system based, but seems to add
>> portability problems on other systems.
>
> Not exactly due to portability problems, but due to the fact that
> there are so many broken ports of 'find' and 'xargs', at least for
> Windows, out there.
I always heard (from you :-)) a patched version is needed on windows,
which is inconvenient for most users.

> Using "grep -R" would indeed be better.  (Btw, on GNU/Linux "grep -R"
> is _slower_ that "find | xargs grep" pipe.  But on Windows, "grep -R"
> is faster, even with my "improved" and fast port of GNU Find.)
I am using with emacs-helm "grep -R" since two years now and more
recently "ack-grep" with success on GNU/Linux.
I don't know how fast is find/xargs but using "grep -R" is already fast
enough for most of the tasks.
Using "ack-grep" is always faster than grep even if in theory it is slower than
grep (It do not parse uninteresting files/dirs by default).

--
  Thierry
Get my Gnupg key: