Re: upgrade nonsensifies fill-paragraph

From: ken
Subject: Re: upgrade nonsensifies fill-paragraph
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 19:15:59 -0500

On 12/28/2012 06:42 PM B. T. Raven wrote:
Die Tue Dec 25 2012 12:15:10 GMT-0600 (Central Standard Time) ken
<gebser@mousecar.com>  scripsit:

For quite a while I've been using the highest upgrade of emacs available
to RH/Centos 5.8, i.e., 21.4.  But because I wanted to start using
webdav functionality in emacs, I scrapped that and downloaded and
compiled version 22.1.1.  With this upgrade came problems (some of which
I've encountered and had to fix in previous upgrades).  One of these is
what "fill-paragraph" does.

I'll have a nicely formatted html unordered list, something like this:

<ul>
   <li>This is a longer line of text for a single list
   item.  We're going to use it to test to see how
   well
   word-wrapping works with this new version of emacs (22.1.1).  It's
   always a real pain to reformat list items so that they look nice.
  </li>
  <li>Another line of text is no problem just typing it in without
   editing anything which affects where the line-breaks are located.
   Everything is happy so far.
  </li>
  <li>Now a third line.  After typing in this, I'll move the point up to
   the first list item and try to reformat it with<kbd>M-q</kbd>.
  </li>
</ul>

Fairy readable, but I want to improve the first list item's formatting,
so I put the point between the first "<li>" and its matching"</li>" and
to M-q.  I get this:

<ul>  <li>This is a longer line of text for a single list item.  We're
   going to use it to test to see how well word-wrapping works with this
   new version of emacs (22.1.1).  It's always a real pain to reformat
   list items so that they look nice.</li>  <li>Another line of text is
   no problem just typing it in without editing anything which affects
   where the line-breaks are located.  Everything is happy so far.</li>
   <li>Now a third line.  After typing in this, I'll move the point up to
   </ul>

which is of course *much worse*.  And not how the previous version
behaved (with exactly the same ~/.emacs).

The problem, I believe, has to do with emacs' definition of what
signifies the end of a paragraph.  But I couldn't find any such
definition.  Any help?

Things like this are found with C-h v parag TAB
Look at paragraph-start and paragraph-separate.
  <\/.+>  is a regexp that is the pattern for tags like</li>  vel sim.
Maybe that could be added to one or both of those variables in html-mode
or html-helper-mode but I don't know what repercussions that might have.

Ed

Thanks much, Ed. That help search worked. Yeah, I remember now that years ago I had to play around with paragraph-separate for days because it affected paragraph-start, so I had to fiddle with that too. There might have been a third variable I had to re-define as well. It was a long time ago.

I don't understand, though, why all that worked fine in my previous version but after the upgrade and with the same ~/.emacs it's broke. :^\ Weird.