Re: emacs24 X primary selection changes

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: emacs24 X primary selection changes
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2013 15:58:09 -0700

Drew Adams wrote:
> > (setq select-active-regions nil
> >       mouse-drag-copy-region t
> >       x-select-enable-primary t
> >       x-select-enable-clipboard nil)
> >
> > to get sane selection/X interaction defaults back.
>
> +1 to getting back sane defaults.

Are you also having this problem on MS Windows?

> But I use non-nil `x-select-enable-clipboard'.

Probably the best answer for you on MS-Windows.  Does Windows have
anything other than the clipboard?  I don't know.

> (And there is no `x-select-enable-primary' on MS Windows.)

Well... Since I was asking about the X primary selection the above
answer was perfect for me on a Unix or GNU machine.  The question is
specifically about X Windows and not MS Windows.  On MS Windows I have
no idea but assume there is only the Windows clipboard.  There
wouldn't be an X cut buffer unless you have done something to install
X Windows onto your MS machine.  I'd expect that to be very unusual.

The above variables are all present in emacs v23 and the above values
return them to the v23 default values.  I had actually noticed the new
x-select-enable-clipboard-manager in v24 but had not found the above
full set and hadn't gotten it working for me.  The above answer was
perfect given the question.

Also to be clear using the mouse to cut and paste always worked.  It
was the previous emacs behavior of using the keyboard to interact with
the cut buffer that changed.  Previously (and now again with the above
setting, thank you!) the act of killing text in emacs or yanking text
in emacs using C-w and C-y and the other related commands would cut
into the X cut buffer and yank from the X cut buffer.  The default in
v24 has changed so that this no longer happens.  I don't know why the
default was changed.  I assume it is further encroachment of CUA mode
to be more MS Windows like since I can't think of any other reason.

Bob