Re: Mouse cut moves point

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: Mouse cut moves point
Date: Thu, 03 Jan 2013 19:28:13 -0500

In article <mailman.16636.1357253037.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Bob Proulx <bob@proulx.com> wrote:

> In emacs running as a graphics window the act of cutting text moves
> the point.  Typing in text and then using the mouse to cut and paste
> means also needing to tediously move the point back to where I was
> typing (before the cut action) so that I can paste it.
>
> Is there a way to configure emacs under X so that cutting text with a
> mouse drag does not move the point?
>
> This is something that has always been this way.  It has not ever
> changed as far as I know.  But it has always been inconvenient.  I had
> such excellent luck with my last question that I decided it was time
> to ask this related question too. :-)

Emacs's model of marking text is that the region is the area between the
mark and point. So it's not possible to mark a region without setting
point to one end of it.

But isn't this also how most GUI text editors and word processors work?
When you swipe an area of text the insertion point disappears. But if
you cut and then start typing, you'll see that it has moved to where the
marked text was.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA