Re: About `max-lisp-eval-depth'

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: About `max-lisp-eval-depth'
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 11:03:20 -0500

In article <mailman.16687.1357300884.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> wrote:

> What's the best value for it?  I know it depends on the platform and computer
> that run Emacs, but how can I get the most suitable value for me?
>
> I ask this question because when I did coverage testing for a file of Lisp
> code just now, an error came up:
> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Lisp nesting exceeds
> `max-lisp-eval-depth'")

Unless you're doing something that specifically requires high levels of
recursion, the default is probably appropriate.  99% of the time this
error indicates an infinite recursion bug, so increasing the max would
just postpone the error, not prevent it.  If you are doing something
with deep recursion, you need to determine its needs and set the option
accordingly.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA