Re: Using the same custom file in two different OSes

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Using the same custom file in two different OSes
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 04:59:15 -0800 (PST)

On Wednesday, 16 January 2013 04:27:45 UTC+8, Dani Moncayo  wrote:

> On Windows, the "Courier New" family is chosen as expected, but on
>
> Ubuntu Emacs doesn't choose "Ubuntu Mono" as expected, but another
>
> face (similar to Courier New, BTW).  If I do "M-x customize-face RET
>
> default RET", the family that I see is "TlwgMono".

It's quite likely that the distribution is preconfigured to contain aliases for
common Windows font names, so that the user does not get "Font not found"
messages about them when they receive documents from Windows users.

Look in /etc/fonts/conf.d for files containing snippets like:

        <alias binding="same">
          <family>TlwgMono</family>
          <default>
            <family>Courier New</family>
          </default>
        </alias>

Or, reverse the order of the fonts in your .emacs, so "Ubuntu Mono" is
preferred over "Courier New".