Re: How to remove the window separator line ?

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: How to remove the window separator line ?
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2013 20:35:41 +0100

On Tue, 15 Jan 2013 14:54:00 -0800 (PST) Cezar Halmagean <cezar@mixandgo.com>
wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 15, 2013 11:03:21 PM UTC+2, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> > Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 12:29:08 -0800 (PST)
>>
>> > From: Cezar Halmagean <cezar@mixandgo.com>

>> >   I want to remove the thin line that separates the windows and I am
>>
>> >   not sure what it's called or how to find that setting.
>>

>> It's called "vertical border".  I don't think you can remove it.

Maybe you can't remove it, but from reading the Display Tables nodes in
the Elisp manual, it seems like you should be able to effectively hide
it, e.g. by making it display as a zero-width space:

(set-display-table-slot standard-display-table
                        'vertical-border (make-glyph-code 8203))

However, this does not change the vertical border on a graphical Emacs,
only on a non-window-system display (actually, it doesn't work with
zero-width space, I guess because the codepoint is too high; it does
work with 160 (no-break space)).  This difference is not documented in
this node, which is the only place in the Elisp manual that refers to
vertical-border.  Is this a doc bug?

> Yes that's what it's called, making it the same color as the background will
> do. Thank you.
>
> For anyone else searching for this:
>
> (set-face-attribute 'vertical-border
>                     nil
>                     :foreground "#282a2e")

I tried this and found something that looks like a program bug, but
maybe it's a feature I don't understand (in which case it may be another
doc bug).  I use non-toolkit scroll bars.  When I disable scroll bars,
split the window side by side and evaluate the above sexp, the vertical
border takes on the given color; and when I now enable scroll bars
again, now they have this color (I tested with "green" so it was plain
to see).  But if I evaluate the sexp with scroll bars enabled using a
different color, this does not change the color of the scroll bars; but
if I disable scroll bars and then enable them again, now they do have
the changed color.  Is this a bug?

Steve Berman