Re: Remote access from Windoze

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Remote access from Windoze
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 11:20:34 +0100

Hilary <hils@newearth.demon.co.uk.invalid> writes:

Hi Hilary,

> When I try
>
> find-file /me@a.b.c.d:/
>
> from emacs on a WinXP box (with PuTTY properly installed), it prompts
>
> Password for /pscp:me@a.b.c.d:
>
> after entering the password and a long pause, I get
>
> Tramp: Waiting for prompts from remote shell
>
> and nothing more. It's freed by C-g, when it asks for a password again.
>
> When I try the exact same find-file command from emacs on Debian in
> VirtualBox on the same Winny box, it works perfectly. Winny emacs
> never gets to the
>
> Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on `a.b.c.d'
>
> message which Debian emacs has. Have I missed something about emacs
> and/or plink?

It should work, as you have described. Could you, please, apply

(setq tramp-verbose 6)

and rerun your test? There will be a buffer "*debug tramp/pscp me@a.b.c.d*"
which could tell us more. If you care about sensitive information, you
could send it to me off-list. For sure, it won't contain passwords or alike.

Best regards, Michael.