Re: EPL licence for emacs extension distributed via ELPA.

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: EPL licence for emacs extension distributed via ELPA.
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 16:28:04 -0500

kostafey wrote:

>>> 1) Is it possible to distribute via ELPA (in repositories like
>>> marmalade or melpa) my code with GPL licence together with this EPL
>>> code?

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#EPL

   The Eclipse Public License is similar to the Common Public License, and
   our comments on the CPL apply equally to the EPL.

http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html#CommonPublicLicense10

   This is a free software license. Unfortunately, its weak copyleft and
   choice of law clause make it incompatible with the GNU GPL.

So I'm not sure you can distribute it anywhere...

If the EPL piece is used as a library, you may need to read
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#FSWithNFLibs

(But this is unrelated to Emacs and ELPA, so this may not be the best
place to get answers to such questions.)

> I haven't find licence demands for this repositories, but I thought that
> all emacs-related code must be GPL.

This has been asked a few times; I'm not sure I've ever seen a
definitive answer. Ref eg

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-11/msg01280.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-04/msg01368.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-05/msg01424.html