Re: What if sometimes want auto-filling and sometimes don't? Necessary t

From: Bastien
Subject: Re: What if sometimes want auto-filling and sometimes don't? Necessary to keep manually turning on/off?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 11:14:44 +0100

Hi Chris,

Chris Seberino <cseberino@gmail.com> writes:

> What is easiest way to have it both ways?  Must people keep turning
> it on and off?

I use auto-fill-mode by default, I sometimes disable it when I don't
need auto-filling in the whole buffer, and I often use this:

(defun unfill-paragraph ()
  "Takes a multi-line paragraph and makes it into a single line of text."
  (interactive)
  (let ((fill-column (point-max)))
    (fill-paragraph nil)))

(define-key global-map "\M-Q" 'unfill-paragraph)

It lets me unfill a paragraph and put everything in one line when
needed.

HTH,

--
 Bastien