Re: What if sometimes want auto-filling and sometimes don't? Necessary t

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: What if sometimes want auto-filling and sometimes don't? Necessary to keep manually turning on/off?
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 10:06:54 -0700

Bastien wrote:
> Chris Seberino writes:
> > What is easiest way to have it both ways?  Must people keep turning
> > it on and off?
>
> I use auto-fill-mode by default, I sometimes disable it when I don't
> need auto-filling in the whole buffer, and I often use this:
>
> (defun unfill-paragraph ()
> (define-key global-map "\M-Q" 'unfill-paragraph)

I usually turn auto-fill-mode on and off.  "M-x auto-f" is
sufficiently short that I haven't bothered to do anything further.

When I want to join a paragraph of lines together I use M-^ which is
confusingly named delete-indentation, although the key character
mnemonic is perfect.

I put the point on the last line and then hold down the META and SHIFT
keys and press ^ once for each line and join what I want up into one
line.  Not as spiffy as the above suggestion but works in a default
configuration.

  delete-indentation is an interactive compiled Lisp function in
  `simple.el'.

  It is bound to M-^.

  (delete-indentation &optional ARG)

  Join this line to previous and fix up whitespace at join.
  If there is a fill prefix, delete it from the beginning of this line.
  With argument, join this line to following line.

Bob