Re: What if sometimes want auto-filling and sometimes don't? Necessary t

From: Chris Seberino
Subject: Re: What if sometimes want auto-filling and sometimes don't? Necessary tokeep manually turning on/off?
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 22:27:07 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 30, 5:03 pm, Bob Proulx <b...@proulx.com> wrote:
> The reason for a wrap setting that causes words to break and fill
> before column 80 is so that replies to messages like the above will
> have a little bit extra space to insert quoting marks.  The longest
> line in Drew's message was 71 and it becomes the longest in Chris'
> message at 74 and in mine at 77.  It is almost to the point where it
> doesn't fit on an 80 column terminal and would need re-wrapping.

 Why would emacs need to
add quotes for you?  Even if it did, why would quotes need more than
two spaces?

Maybe I don't understand correctly how auto filling works.
I only want things to move to a new line when I am beyond 80 columns,
not before.
I want a space to activate reshuffling of my text only when I'm beyond
the 80 column barrier.
It seems setting fill-column to 79 would do that.   I also have code
in my .emacs
to highlight lines that are longer than 80 columns.  Hopefully auto
filling will take care
of most long lines before that is needed.

cs