Re: max-lisp-eval-depth

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: max-lisp-eval-depth
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2013 15:46:38 -0500

> Please answer why *Byte-compiled code uses much less stack space*?

Simple because every `progn' or `if' nesting adds to the stack
space usage in interpreted code, but not in byte-compiled code.

Similarly for `let', interpreted code will end up pushing the new
binding on the "specpdl stack" and then doing a recursive C call to the
Feval function, whereas byte-compiled code will only push the new value
onto the "specpdl stack" but will stay within the same function.

> Very briefly, with few tech details. Which ratio between compiled and
> non-compiled usage?

That varies a lot depending on the kind of code.
I'd guess on the average a factor of 4, maybe?

        Stefan "Note that there are different notions of stack space at
                play here, such as the one measured by
                max-lisp-eval-depth, the one measuring the size of the
                C stack, the once measured by max-specpdl-size, ..."