Re: How to change 'comment-region' behaviour globally?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: How to change 'comment-region' behaviour globally?
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:14:09 +0100

> Customizing `comment-style' to `plain' doesn't help?
>
> I guess it won't help if a given major mode declares that variable to be
> buffer-local and sets its own value for it.  But it's not playing nice if the
> major mode does that, IMO.  `comment-styles' is a user option.

One more question about the global vs buffer-local variable
'comment-style':

if I want to temporarilly set it to another value in a program, do I
have to check first if its a global value or a buffer-local value that
is set for the buffer, or is this immaterial, i.e. whenever I call setq
on 'comment-style', it will apply to the version that is active in the
buffer?

In other words, can I simply call '(setq comment-style "plain") at the
beginning of the program, and then e.g. '(setq comment-style "indent")
at the end of the program, without worrying if 'comment-style' is global
or local for the buffer at hand?

--
cheers,
Thorsten