Re: Use text in emacs buffer to populate command window

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: Use text in emacs buffer to populate command window
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 00:13:06 +0530

> acomber <deedexy@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> eg I use m-x highlight-regexp I want to also grab the
>> text under the cursor.  How do I do that?
>
> Have you tried M-n when you see the prompt?
>
> This is some command most don't know about or don't use when
> prompted. (I know I shouldn't be talking for others) When Emacs prompts
> for something in the minibuffer, it almost always provides NOT A SINGLE
> DEFAULT BUT MULTIPLE DEFAULTS.  And you can run through the other
> defaults using M-n.
>
> When I highlight, I almost always highlight the "thing" at point.
> highlight-regepx provides (car regexp-history).  This option baffles and
> and I cannot simply relate to how this default could be a useful
> default.

I think I should go to bed now.  My stream of consciousness is drifting
and is now flowing in to the dreams :-). Read the above paragraph as
below.

When I highlight, I almost always highlight the "thing" at point.
highlight-regepx provides (car regexp-history) as the first default.
This choice of default baffles me. (I hate Isearch and stay away from
regexp search as much as possible) and I cannot simply relate to how