Re: switch-buffer-hook to catch the switch-event?

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: switch-buffer-hook to catch the switch-event?
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2013 05:23:16 +0100

>> How can I trigger an action everytime a certain buffer gets the focus
>> (becomes current-buffer)? Is there no hook for 'switch-buffer' or
>> something similar?
>
> No, indeed, there isn't.  You can use window-configuration-change-hook
> to detect changes within an Emacs frame, but in order to detect focus
> changing from/to Emacs to/from other applications you'd additionally
> need a focus-hook, but last I checked the corresponding C-level events
> are not reliably propagated to Elisp.  Patch welcome.

window-configuration-change-hook is not exactly what I was looking for,
but in the absence of a more straight-forward solution I'll give it a
try. If the only thing that happens is a 'switch-window or
'switch-buffer command - is that considered a
window-configuration-change and triggers the hook?

--
cheers,
Thorsten