RE: About definition finding

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: About definition finding
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2013 08:11:44 -0800

> In (info "(elisp) Coding Conventions"):
>
>     * Constructs that define a function or variable should be macros,
>       not functions, and their names should start with `define-'.  The
>       macro should receive the name to be defined as the
>       first argument.
>       That will help various tools find the definition automatically.
>       Avoid constructing the names in the macro itself, since
>       that would confuse these tools.
>
> Which tools will make use of it?  Imenu/etags/...?  I'm not quite
> familiar with it.  Can anybody help?  Thanks.

Yes, both Imenu and Emacs tags.  And perhaps other tools that you might write to
take advantage of such a convention.

Note that this doc section's guideline conflicts a bit with that of adding a
package/library prefix to such macros.  E.g., `icicle-define-command' vs
`define-icicle-command'.  I put the library prefix first, but others might do
otherwise.