Re: About traditional Lisp primitives

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: About traditional Lisp primitives
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2013 05:39:18 -0500

In article <mailman.21530.1362559820.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
 Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> wrote:

> In (info "(elisp) Coding Conventions"):
>
>       This recommendation applies even to names for traditional Lisp
>       primitives that are not primitives in Emacs Lisp--such as
>       `copy-list'.
>
> I don't know what "traditional Lisp primitives" means here.  What are
> the differences between traditional Lisp primitives and primitives in
> Emacs Lisp?  Are they implemented in C?

What they mean is a function in a traditional Lisp dialect (e.g. Common
Lisp or Maclisp) that doesn't exist in Emacs Lisp.  If you want to use
such a function in your own package, you need to write it yourself --
and the recommendation is that you personalize it with a prefix, so you
don't conflict with another package that has a similar need.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA