Down arrow key skips lines when window too short

From: Andrew Pennebaker
Subject: Down arrow key skips lines when window too short
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 15:31:45 -0400

When I use Emacs in full screen mode, the Down arrow key works just fine for navigating down a source code buffer. But when the window gets too short (e.g., C-x 2), then pressing Down begins to skip "paragraphs" of code, making it hard to edit the desired line.

This behavior occurs for the Down arrow key, `C-n`, and `M-x next-line`, as well as for the reverse functions Up, `C-l`, and `M-x previous-line`.

Can someone help me modify my `~/.emacs` to prevent these line skips from happening?

I'm using Homebrew Emacs 24.2.1 on Mac OS X 10.8.2.

--
Cheers,

Andrew Pennebaker
www.yellosoft.us