Re: Down arrow key skips lines when window too short

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Down arrow key skips lines when window too short
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 18:16:45 +0200

> Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 15:31:45 -0400
> From: Andrew Pennebaker <andrew.pennebaker@gmail.com>
>
> When I use Emacs in full screen mode, the Down arrow key works just fine
> for navigating down a source code buffer. But when the window gets too
> short (e.g., C-x 2), then pressing Down begins to skip "paragraphs" of
> code, making it hard to edit the desired line.
>
> This behavior occurs for the Down arrow key, `C-n`, and `M-x next-line`, as
> well as for the reverse functions Up, `C-l`, and `M-x previous-line`.
>
> Can someone help me modify my `~/.emacs` to prevent these line skips from
> happening?
>
> I'm using Homebrew Emacs 24.2.1 on Mac OS X 10.8.2.

This might or might not be a bug.  Can you try the latest Emacs 24.3,
released just yesterday?  If the problem persists there, come back
here and describe the way of reproducing the problem starting with
"emacs -Q".  Maybe it's a feature, in which case there are some
scroll-* variables whose customization could help you.  Or maybe it's
a bug that wasn't yet fixed.