Re: Copying a whole line using kill-ring-save in emacs 24.3.1

From: Le Wang
Subject: Re: Copying a whole line using kill-ring-save in emacs 24.3.1
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 23:30:26 +0800

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Alan <bowl.of.petunias@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've used the following code, from
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WholeLineOrRegion, to copy a whole line:
>
> (put 'kill-ring-save 'interactive-form
>      '(interactive
>        (if (use-region-p)
>            (list (region-beginning) (region-end))
>          (list (line-beginning-position) (line-beginning-position 2)))))
>

> Basically, it allows the use of "meta-w" to copy the entire line where the
> cursor is currently located, as long as no text is visually selected.
> (Transient Mark Mode must be enabled for this to work.) However, after
> upgrading to emacs version 24.3.1 (from 24.2.1), this fails to work.
>
> When I visit a file for the first time and hit "meta-w", I get the error:
> “Wrong type argument: integer-or-marker-p, nil”, although it does
> successfully copy the line. However, further “meta-w” presses copy from the
> current position to the last mark, regardless of whether the region is
> highlighted.
>
> Any thoughts on getting the “Meta-w” to work? Thanks.

It looks like functionality has been added to highlight the region that was
copied.  The problem is your snippet relies on the implementation instead of
the API.  It's better to define your own command and remap.

(defun my-kill-ring-save (beg end)
  (interactive (if (use-region-p)
                   (list (region-beginning) (region-end))
                 (list (line-beginning-position) (line-beginning-position 2))))
  (kill-ring-save beg end))
(global-set-key [remap kill-ring-save] 'my-kill-ring-save)

--
Le