emacs server on windows

From: Doug Lewan
Subject: emacs server on windows
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 15:33:57 +0000

I use emacs 24.3.1 under CYGWIN on Windows 7.

When emacsclient is invoked with a Windows path name, the name is converted to
CYGWIN form and presented. However, there is also a buffer for a sort of hybrid
path and that buffer has an associated file.

For example: If I want c:\app\log, then emacsclient recommends
/home/dougl/c:/app/log. Emacs, on the other hand, has a buffer with the
associated file: /home/dougl/c:\app\log.

When I type C-c# to finish the server session, the buffer I had been editing is
killed, but the other buffer remains. That prevents me from visiting that file
again via emacsclient.

The symptom can be seen in the *Messages* directory.

external:               emacsclient c:\cygwin\home\dougl\log
*Messages*:             When done with a buffer, type C-x #
                        [edit, save, end the server session]
external:               emacsclient c:\cygwin\home\dougl\log    (again)
*Messages*:             File no longer exists:
/home/dougl/log/c:\cygwin\home\dougl\log, write buffer to file? (y or n)

I've taken a quick walk through server.el and didn't find any obvious point to
start fixing. I will look at the client code when I get a chance.

Should I consider this a bug? (I didn't see it in a quick search of the bugs
news group, but it is pretty big.)

Is there a known work-around?

Thanks.

,Douglas
Douglas Lewan
Shubert Ticketing
(201) 489-8600 ext 224

Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed. Everything else
is public relations. - George Orwell