Re: best gnu/linux distro for emacs

From: Bob Proulx
Subject: Re: best gnu/linux distro for emacs
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 22:04:22 -0600

Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Jay Belanger wrote:
> > I recall there were some complaints that Debian had some odd Emacs
> > setup; I don't recall the details, but I seem to recall David Kastrup
> > pointing them out.  Does anybody remember?
>
> They put a dummy site-start.el under /etc somewhere.  This can catch you
> out if you have your real site-start.el in a normal Emacs place such as
> /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el since the dummy one gets
> loaded instead of the real one.

The empty template file is:

  /etc/emacs/site-start.el

What makes /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el the normal
path and /etc/emacs/site-start.el something not normal?

In any case...  One could always put the customizations in that file.
That is rather what is expected.  Or one could add a load statement
there to load /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el if you
want to keep the customizations there.  It is six of one or a half
dozen of the other.

Bob