Re: best gnu/linux distro for emacs

From: W. Greenhouse
Subject: Re: best gnu/linux distro for emacs
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 20:18:48 +0000

Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> writes:

>> Knowing this then if I am using a locally compiled program installed
>> in /usr/local/bin and want to modify its configuration then I expect
>> it to be configured in /usr/local somewhere usually /usr/local/etc but
>> sometimes elsewhere.  If I am using a system package installed program
>> in /bin (or /usr/bin) then I expect it to be configured somewhere in /
>> usually /etc but sometimes elsewhere too but definitely not /usr/local.
>
> You have a point here.  :-)  Where I take issue with the Debian maintainer
> (of 2005) is in creating a content-free file /etc/emacs/site-start.el.
> That couldn't help but cause problems with a common pre-existing seup.

The situation re: config file locations for Emacs in Debian hasn't
changed.

FWIW--and this is not to contradict or doubt that you found it
frustrating the first time you were setting up Emacs in Debian, just a
point of info for anyone in similar difficulties--most of the
Debian-specific init for Emacs and Debian elisp packages is actually in
/etc/emacs/site-start.d/ not /etc/emacs/site-start.el.  The .el[c] files
there (non-recursive) are automatically run by the Debian-specific
function `debian-run-directories'.  The distro is guaranteed not to
overwrite any changes you make to the /etc/emacs/site-start.el; that's
free for you to use.

Best,
Will

--