RE: [ANN] project-buffers.el

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [ANN] project-buffers.el
Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2013 22:36:08 -0700

Consider mentioning your library on that wiki project-category page.

Maybe consider also renaming your library, since there is another, older one there whose name is very similar: project-buffer-mode.el (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ProjectBufferMode). Renaming might help people distinguish the two and find each one easier.
I didn't realize Projectile had similar functionality until after I had written project-buffers.el in the first place. And I probably wouldn't have noticed, because I didn't realize that what I needed was similar to Projectile until after `next-buffer-in-project` and `previous-buffer-in-project` were written, because those were the two functions I really wanted, and the functions `switch-project` and `close-buffers-in-project` came afterwards due to a realization that they would be really easy. Once those were written, it became more obvious that what I had was similar to Projectile.

But now that I look at Projectile, I think it does Too Many Things™. For example, to find a file in my project, I use find-file-in-repository (MELPA) which does just one thing and does it extremely well. For running tests in my project there are other utilities that do this too, same for TAG files, grep, etc.
> Thanks for the link, haven't seen that page before.
> Most packages on that page don't do what project-buffers.el does.
> Projectile almost does, but it doesn't have a per-project version of
> next-buffer and previous-buffer, which was probably the main reason I
> wrote project-buffers.el.
You could have contributed two new commands to projectile, no?