Re: `auto-dim-other-windows` -- scrutiny invited

From: Steven Degutis
Subject: Re: `auto-dim-other-windows` -- scrutiny invited
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 18:19:47 -0500

Originally I wanted to make it change the face per-window, so I could easily know which window I'm editing in. I even named it auto-dim-other-windows at first.

Then I realized emacs only allows us to set per-buffer faces. It doesn't allow us to set per-window faces. Please file a bug asking for the feature to set per-window faces. For now, this is the best we can do with what emacs gives us.

-Steven

On Tue, Apr 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM, Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> wrote:
Steven Degutis <sbdegutis@gmail.com> writes:

> Thanks for the ideas.
>
> I've made an official github repo here:
> https://github.com/sdegutis/auto-dim-other-buffers.el/
>
> The face is now customizable, with the black-background one being a dumb
> default. This way, everyone can choose for themselves what will look right,
> whether the background should get lighter or darker or maybe the text color
> should instead.

After trying your code from github, I have to ask: what is its purpose?
I thought that it is used for easily locating the window where the
cursor is. If that's true, you need to work with windows instead of
buffers (think of two windows showing the same buffer: as the buffer for
both is the "current" one, neither window is considered as "other" by
your code as long as the cursor is in one of them.)