set background color without using faces

From: Bois Francois-Xavier
Subject: set background color without using faces
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2013 18:38:13 +0200

Dear emacsians,

For my project [1] I am wondering if it is possible to achieve this : after I have fontified the various blocks [2] (with direct use of font-lock-fontify-region [3]) , can I force the background for specific regions (ie. the server blocks and not the client ones) ?

I am working on the compatiblity with the razor language (also used by the Play framework) and want to achieve this :
http://weblogs.asp.net/blogs/scottgu/image_thumb_4C76B8A4.png

Thank you in advance

[1] web-mode.el , a major mode for editing web templates , available on http://web-mode.org

[2] clients parts (css/js) and server blocks (ie php, jsp, dtl, etc.)

[3] in the faq of http://web-mode.org , I explain why I use different method in order to fontify buffers.

fxbois